a solid foundation upon which the State Judiciary was built. In November 1976, Hon Justice S.F Adeloye was appointed a judge of the High Court of Ondo State thus becoming the first to be appointed in the State.
The Ondo State Judiciary came into being upon the creation of Ondo State out of the old Western State of Nigeria on the 3rd day of February, 1976.
The Judiciary commenced with three Judicial Division namely, Akure, Ondo and Ado-Ekiti Divisions. There were five pioneer judges namely, late Hon. Justice (Dr) Akinola Aguda, as Chief Judge, Hon. Justice Olakunle Orojo, Hon. Justice C. Piper, Hon Justice O. Olatawura and Hon. Justice M.E Ogundare. The pioneer judges together with the supporting staff laid a solid foundation upon which the State Judiciary was built.
In November 1976, Hon Justice S.F Adeloye was appointed a judge of the High Court of Ondo State thus becoming the first to be appointed in the State.
The Ondo Sate Judiciary now has nine Judicial Divisions namely Akure, OWO, Ikare, Ondo, Okitipupa, Ifon, Oka, Idanre and Ore Judicial Divisions. There are Thirty-Eight Magistrates sitting in the thirty-three Magistrates Districts in the State.
There are Ten Rent Tribunals spread all over the State presided over by Legal Practitioners. In March, 2011, the Judicial Service Commission approved the appointment of Acting Chief Registrar and Deputy Registrar for the Ondo State Customary Court of Appeal. All Appeals from customary Courts will now go to Customary Court of Appeal.
The Objective of the Ondo State judiciary is to bring Justice which is free and fair to the doorstep of the people and this has been largely achieved.
- Hon. Justice Olasehinde KUMUYI
Judges at the High Court of Justice in Ondo State
- Hon. Justice F.O Aguda-Taiwo
- Hon. Justice T.O Osoba
- Hon. Justice I.A Adegenro
- Hon. Justice O.O. Akeredolu
- Hon. Justice C.E.T Ajama
- Hon. Justice S.A Sidiq
- Hon. Justice W.A Akintoroye
- Hon. Justice A.O Odusola
- Hon. Justice S.A Bola
- Hon. Justice A.O Adegbehingbe
- Hon. Justice A.O Adebusoye
- Hon. Justice N.S Adeyanju
- Hon. Justice O. Akintan-Osadebay
- Hon. Justice D.I Kolawole
Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice
- Mr. Eyitayo Jegede, SAN
Chief Registrar's Office
- A. Adegoroye Chief Registrar
- Mr. J O Abe Deputy Chief Registrar (Admin)
- Mrs. O .M Adejumo Deputy Registrar (Finance)
Ondo State Judicial Service Commission
- Hon. Justice Olasehinde Kumuyi – Hon Chief Judge (Chairman)
- Mr. Eyitayo Jegede – Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice (Member)
- Chief (Hon) Olu Ogidan (Member)
- Mr. O ogunsuyi (Member)
- Mr. Dara Akinbo (Member)
- Ms Yemi Ogedengbe (Member)
- Mr. A Enikuomehin (Acting Secretary)
Ondo State Customary Court of Appeal
- Princess E.A Alade (Acting Chief Registrar)
- Mr. Z.O Egbunu (Deputy Chief Registrar)